Home Page

SEN Information Report

What do we mean by Croft Community School SEN Information Report?

Information about everything we provide for your child is in this report.

How can my child attend Croft Community School?

  • A proposed EHCP is produced initially, then a final EHCP which includes all of the information about your child's needs.
  • A Final EHCP would name Croft Community School as the agreed placement for your child.

How does Croft Community School meet the needs of Looked After Children?

Looked After Children are placed in the academy by the local authority and needs are identified through the EHCP process.  A PEP meeting is held shortly after starting school.


Vanessa Elcock, Deputy Head Teacher is also the designated teacher for Looked After Children in our school. Vanessa works closely with colleagues from social care and from County Durham Virtual School (LACES team) to ensure all needs are fully met.


Click on the link below for the County Durham Laces Team:


How can you support and prepare my child before attending (or leaving) Croft Community School?

• We have a Transition programme with a dedicated transition worker who will work closely with your child.

• Transition worker visits previous provision

• Settings share information to ensure individual needs are met.

• Home visits where appropriate
• Work with Improving Progressions Team
• Links to colleges through visits
• Curriculum with appropriate progression pathways.


How will my child be transported to Croft Community School?

• Education transport dependent on the distance from your home to school.
• Local Authority SEN department will contact the Local Authority transport department and organise it.
• Local Authority transport staff (taxi driver and passenger assistant where possible) introduce themselves to you and your child.
• Date and time arranged and any medical information shared.

If Local Authority transport is not available due to distance from school parents arrange their own transport

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?

• Personalised input based on assessments / EHCP
• Subjects, adapted, starting with students development needs
• Indoor and outdoor learning
• Range of offsite learning opportunities
• Use of therapies (rebound, physiotherapy, play therapy and Bowen Therapy)
• Identified accredited qualifications appropriate to learner’s needs

What specialist resources can be accessed at Croft Community School?

• Speech and Language Therapist
• Occupational Therapist.
• Physiotherapist
• Educational Psychologist
• Behaviour support
• CAMHS (Child and adolescent mental health services)
• School nurse
• Improving Progressions Team
• Bowen Therapist

• Play Therapist

• Counselling Service

How are Croft Community School's resources matched to my child's needs?

  • Individualised access to the curriculum.
  • Staff : pupil ratio
  • Pupil premium funding
  • Year 7 Catch up grant
  • Primary PE Grant
  • Other EHCP needs

What specialist qualifications do staff have at Croft Community School?

• Qualified Teacher Status
• Makaton
• Medically trained (Epilepsy, Epi-pen, Diabetes)
• Rebound therapy (trampoline)
• First aid
• Safeguarding Training
• Team Teach

What activities could my child be involved in at Croft Community School?

• Curricular visits
• Independent travel training
• Lunchtime clubs (Chess, Sport)
• After school clubs (Film, Art, Sports)

What support is there at Croft Community School for my child's overall wellbeing?

• Curriculum and targets that meet the child’s behaviour and self-help needs.
• Safeguarding
• Positive school ethos
• School nurse
• Trained staff
• First aiders
• School Council
• Independent travel training
• Personal Social Health Education

How can I as a parent / carer support my child's needs?

• Attend class assemblies
• Termly coffee mornings / fayres
• Attend annual review meetings
• Attend parents evening / meetings with staff
• Surveys and questionnaires

• Write in the home school diary about news and activities at home
• Provide school with information re appointments or medical updates
• Helping with homework
• Tell us when things are going well or equally when there is an issue that needs resolving

Who can I contact for more information?

• Mrs Andrea English, Acting Executive Head Teacher
• Ms Vanessa Elcock, Acting Head of School
• Reception / Office staff will always be happy to point you in the right direction.

Who can I contact if I have a complaint?

• Initial contact can be made with school staff above
• Alternatively, you can find our School Complaints Policy in the 'About us / Policies / Statutory Policies' section